Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Company Travel insurance

source: Straits Times 8 Sept 09

Travel insurance

My husband's boss replied that half the claim would go to the company. It does not make sense.'

MADAM GERTRUDE TAN: 'Recently, my husband flew to Paris. On the return trip, the plane was delayed by six hours due to a technical fault. My husband's company had bought travel insurance for him, so his boss asked him to claim for the delay from the insurance company. Great Eastern Life was very efficient, and a cheque for $200 was made payable to my husband in due course. However, my husband's boss told him to return the cheque. My husband argued with her that what if there was a plane crash and I could not claim insurance. My husband's boss replied that half the claim would go to the company for the loss of an employee. I sought advice from the Ministry of Manpower, but the labour relations officer said the Employment Act did not cover this insurance rule. It does not make sense that an insurance claim is paid to the company. If there was a claim for lost luggage and it was paid to the company, it would not be fair to the employee who lost the luggage.'


No comments:

Post a Comment